Ankylosaurus was like a tank, with lots of thick, bony armor on its body. It also had a nasty weapon, a heavy club on the end of its tail, which it could swing around and smash into an attacking dinosaur. There probably weren't many creatures, even a big Tyrannosaurus rex, who would want to mess with this formidable species.
As a defensive creature, Ankylosaurus was one of nature's most perfect designs. It was almost impervious to being bitten from above and its long, strong tail muscles would have been able to swing its club with great force, however, the tail wasn't too flexible and could only swing 45 degrees in each direction.
There is very little fossil material from this dinosaur - it was apparently the last and largest of this family of armored dinosaurs. It walked fairly upright on all four legs, carrying its tail off the ground and it is theorized that it would drop to the ground when attacked to use its armor as a shield to cover its legs and underbelly.
Ankylosaurus doesn't appear in the original novels. It is briefly seen in a few scenes in Jurassic Park III. Ankylosaurus does appear in a number of video games, only notably in Operation Genesis. Ankylosaurus makes a cameo appearance in the Jurassic Park novellas.
The Lost World: Jurassic Park
"That evidence of thanatocoenses I thought I saw from the helicopter was in fact the remains of the ankylosaur herd. A predator must have driven them off the cliff, so I’m afraid they are, once again, extinct."
This scene was never shot. Therefore, the ankylosaurs could still appear in Jurassic Park movies.
Jurassic Park III
- Ankylosaurus is fought as a boss in Area 2 of Jurassic Park III (arcade game).
- Ankylosaurus may be seen as a four-star large herbivore in the video game Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis. It prefers watery environments like lakes and rivers. It is possible for it to engage in "Death Duels" with Tyrannosaurus. Tyrannosaurus rex sometimes comes on top by having its neck snapped (holding its head down with its foot and then twisting it with its jaws) or by being attacked from underneath. This is possibly meant to reflect the T.rex and Ankylosaurus battle in BBC's Walking with Dinosaurs. This dinosaur has the highest hit point value at 1600 this is higher than other large and armored dinosaurs like Brachiosaurus and Stegosaurus.
- Ankylosaurus can be created from paleo-DNA in the game Jurassic Park III: Park Builder. It is nr. 72 of the Herbivore Twos.
- Ankylosaurus is a playable character in the game Warpath: Jurassic Park that has 3 color: white, black and yellow, and silver.
- Ankylosaurus is one of the playable dinosaurs in Jurassic Park: Dinosaur Battles, one of the most effective dinosaur against all dinos.
- Ankylosaurus is featured in the DVD game. Jurassic Park: Explorer.
- Ankylosaurus is one of the available dinosaurs in the IOS application, Jurassic Park: Builder.
An Ankylosaurus figure appears in the Jurassic Park Series 2 toyline as a hatchling. It also makes an appearance in the Jurassic Park Junior line. Another Ankylosaurus figure was originally planned for the Jurassic park 2011 toys in a two pack with a newly sculpted Spinosaurus, but in the end was scrapped like the rest of the line.
|Jurassic Park III Dinosaurs|
|Ankylosaurus • Baryonyx • Brachiosaurus • Ceratosaurus • Compsognathus • Corythosaurus • Parasaurolophus • Pteranodon • Spinosaurus • Stegosaurus • Suchomimus • Tyrannosaurus rex • Velociraptor|
|Playable Warpath Dinosaurs|
|Acrocanthosaurus • Albertosaurus • Ankylosaurus • Carcharodontosaurus • Cryolophosaurus • Giganotosaurus • Megaraptor • Pachycephalosaurus • Spinosaurus • Stygimoloch • Styracosaurus • Suchomimus • Triceratops • Tyrannosaurus rex|