- "Opportunity without limitation."
- —Claire Dearing's Unofficial Personal Motto(src)
Not much is known about Claire Dearing's life except that she has an older sister, Karen. At some point in her life and before or after Jurassic World's opening, she was hired to be senior assets manager for the titular dinosaur park.
Sometime in June, her nephews, Zach and Gray, visited her and her place of work. As her job did not allow her to spend a great deal of time with them, she had her assistant Zara look after them while she received Verizon Wireless investors who wanted to learn about the park's new attraction, a genetic hybrid named Indominus rex. After meeting her nephews at the Innovation Center, she received the visiting CEO of Jurassic World Simon Masrani, and brought him to the Indominus rex Paddock. Masrani asked her to bring Velociraptor trainer and behaviorist Owen Grady to check the paddock for flaws, and she reluctantly went after the trainer given their uneasy relationship. As they traveled to the paddock, she tried to call her nephews, but got no response.
During their visit to the paddock, the I. rex eventually escaped from captivity and went on a chaotic romp throughout the park. She went back to the Control Room, and after seeing the first attempt on capturing the dinosaur fail, requested an emergency shutdown of the park's attractions. She then found out that her assistant Zara was not with her nephews, so she called them and discovered they were on the Gyrosphere attraction. Once discovering the boys were riding a sphere into the restricted area where the I. rex was loose, she decided to go after them, forcing her to again collaborate with Owen. While trailing the nephews, they found the Gyrosphere damaged and one of the Apatosaurs wounded. Once they reached the abandoned Visitor Center, they figured the boys had fixed one of the Jurassic Park Jeeps to drive back to Jurassic World, and were attacked by the Indominus rex. They witnessed Masrani's helicopter be brought down by escaping pterosaurs from the Jurassic World Aviary, and ran back to the park while Pteranodon and Dimorphodon flew above them.
After reaching Main Street, Claire and Owen were attacked by a Dimorphodon that tried to carry Owen away, leading Claire to grab his rifle and shoot the pterosaur to put it to sleep. Shortly afterward she found her nephews and escorted them to safety in the Mobile Veterinarian Unit MVU-12. While checking Owen leading Blue and the rest of his Velociraptors to hunt the Indominus rex on her tablet, Claire witnessed the hybrid take control of the pack. An InGen Soldier warned them of the raptors and went to the back of the vehicle to try to get inside it. He was then attacked by Delta and Claire hit the accelerator and soon Echo smashed through the driver's window trying to kill Claire. The raptors pursued her vehicle, but both of them were defeated as Claire drove Echo into a tree in the pursuit and her nephews tased Delta with a cattle prod when she tried to go inside the back of the vehicle. Afterward, they met up with Owen while driving on the road who told her that they needed to go indoors. Claire then called Lowery to send in a rescue chopper.
Entering the Hammond Creation Lab, Claire found that the InGen Security Division had commandeered the building, and Vic Hoskins revealed he had ordered the creation of the Indominus rex seeking a living weapon. While Vic discussed his plan with them, Delta entered the laboratory and killed Hoskins, causing Claire and her group to flee to Main Street. The group successfully escaped Delta when Gray used the Holoscape to project a Dilophosaurus to distract the raptor, but once outside, the group was met by the two surviving Velociraptors with Delta soon joining her other pack members. However, Owen convinced his raptor pack to attack the I. rex, but once Gray concludes they "need more teeth" to defeat the hybrid, Claire figures a solution. She calls Lowery Cruthers to open the T. rex paddock, and uses a flare to attract Rexy the veteran T. rex into attacking the I. rex.
After the evacuation, Claire was in the warehouse with the rest of the survivors where she reunited with her sister and brother-in-law arriving. She hugged Karen before leaving the nephews to their parents and left together with Owen.
Personality and traits
According to Bryce Dallas Howard, Claire's actress, she is a "workaholic" and has a Type A personality. This was demonstrated by her actions when on a date with Owen Grady: she printed an itinerary, refused to drink tequila and criticized Owen's attire. She was devoted almost entirely to her job and was very good at it, but had found little time for personal pursuits and was a bit cold and aloof. Initially believing the dinosaurs to be little more than beasts with limited, if any, intelligence, she was shaken when she discovered a fatally wounded Apatosaurus and Owen comforted it in its final moments, which made her realize that they were living, thinking creatures.
Claire cared a lot for her nephews, even if her workaholic tendencies made her barely see them - prior to them visiting Jurassic World, it was 7 years before her last visit, and she does not know the boys' exact ages. However, during the Isla Nublar Incident of 2015 she showed much care for them and goes to lengths to protect them.
Claire and Owen had many personality differences which ensured their relationship was an uneasy one. The two had a date, but it did not work out, with Claire's control freak tendencies and Owen's overtly loose manners displeasing each other. Once the park direction asked her to bring Owen to inspect the Indominus rex pen, the two were frequently insulting each other during the assignment. Once the I. rex broke free and Claire and Owen had to look for her nephews, Owen complained that she was not prepared for such a jungle trek, particularly her high heel shoes. However, given the whole incident made Claire and Owen tend for each other, they started to develop an emotional bond. Once Claire shot a Dimorphodon which had attacked Owen, he thanked by passionately kissing her. After the Isla Nublar incident was finished, Owen said they'd better "stick together, for survival's sake".
Claire Dearing appears in the video game LEGO Jurassic World.
Claire appears in Jurassic World: The Game.
A minifigure of Claire Dearing is included in the LEGO Jurassic World set 75917 Raptor Rampage. Her minifigure has a double sided head, one side showing her serious while the other shows her scared. However, her prototype depicted her smiling instead of her being serious like in the final version.
Behind the scenes
- Claire never drops the high heel shoes during the entire Isla Nublar incident, not even when the park's veteran T. rex is right behind her. Given the scenes revolve around much running, Bryce Dallas Howard had to endure specific training learning how to move fast in the uncomfortable shoes, while adding that "it’s way better than running barefoot in a jungle.” In an interview with Cosmopolitan, Bryce Dallas Howard confirmed that her character will not be wearing high heels in the sequel to Jurassic World. She discovered this fact when Jurassic World director Colin Trevorrow texted her "#NoHeels2018".
- In one draft of the script, her name was Beth.
- In a deleted scene of Jurassic World, Claire mentioned she had only seen her nephews three times over the course of their lives, two of those occasions being funerals.
- In the storyboard for Jurassic World, Claire was supposed to stay with Zach and Gray during their trip instead of leaving them with an assistant.
- The italian voice of Claire is of Federica de Bortoli.
- ↑ IGN - Jurassic World Sequel Coming in 2018 (July 23, 2015) Retrieved from http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/23/jurassic-world-sequel-coming-in-2018
- ↑ http://www.jurassicworld.org/index.php?id=214#comments
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Jurassic World
- ↑ Masrani News: May 2015
- ↑ Jurassic World: What We Saw On Set - IGN (April 28, 2015) Retrieved from http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/28/jurassic-world-what-we-saw-on-set?page=2
- ↑ Bryce Dallas Howard had to train for all of her high-heeled running in 'Jurassic World'
- ↑ Cosmopolitan - "Jurassic World" Star Bryce Dallas Howard Thinks Heelgate Was Feminist (October 20, 2015) Retrieved from http://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/movies/q-and-a/a47996/bryce-dallas-howard-jurassic-world-interview/
- ↑ Meet new characters in leaked Jurassic World script pages (February 27, 2014) Retrieved from http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/02/27/meet-new-characters-in-leaked-jurassic-world-script-pages-1257420?lt_source=external,manual
- ↑ davelowerystoryboards - Jurassic World (July 31, 2015) Retrieved from http://dlstoryboards.blogspot.com/2015/07/jurassic-world_31.html