Dieter Stark was a hunter of Swedish origin. He was second-in-command in Roland Tembo's team.
Dieter Stark was appointed by InGen to be Tembo's second-in-command. He only appeared in the film. Despite being his second-in-command, Tembo does not respect Stark as much he does Ajay Sidhu. Stark is cruel to the dinosaurs, mainly the Compsognathus. In his introductory scene, Stark scares away a Compsognathus by attacking it with a taser.
When the protagonists free the dinosaurs captured by the hunters and Tembo discovers everything, he angrily tells Stark it's the last time he leaves him in charge. Shortly after, the T. rexes attack the mobile lab and the hunters rescue the humans. Stark and Nick Van Owen get into a brief fight. However, now that both groups are lost on an island full of dangerous prehistoric creatures, they reluctantly join forces and trek to the Worker Village to call for help.
After informing Carter that he needed to use the bathroom, he walked away from the group. Unbeknownst to him, Carter was listening to music and thus failed to hear Dieter informing him of this. Dieter then encounters a Compsognathus, which he attacks with a cattle prod, scaring it off.
After realising he was now lost, he called for Carter (who was still listening to music). As he continued calling out, he tripped and fell down a slope. As he fell, he lost his rifle.
He was then attacked by a pack of Compsognathus, and while he managed to fight them off several times, they continued trying to attack him. He eventually found a log blocking his path, and after climbing over it he tripped and injured himself. The pack then climbed over the log after him, and he was subsequently torn apart and killed.
After being gone for a long time, Tembo goes looking for him, and after returning to camp without Stark, is asked if he found him. Tembo replies, "Just the parts they didn't like."
Stark is most notably seen carrying a custom retractable telescopic taser as well as a H&K HK91 fitted with an entry light and telescopic sight, although he never fires the gun in the film.
In LEGO Jurassic World, Dieter Stark doesn't appear so much in The Lost World: Jurassic Park's story mode. The part where he is surrounded by compys is not shown in the story mode, but it is shown in The Lost World: Jurassic Park's hub, and he can be found right in the south-east part of the area surrounded by compys and heard crying out for help, while being safe in a tree branch, and that path to where he is surrounded is blocked with some vines, so the player can use Dr. Alan Grant or Owen Grady to tear off those vines, and the player can use Eric Kirby to scare off those compys with a T. rex Pee Jar, so he can be free, and he becomes purchasable for 60,000. Also, he is eaten by the Tyrannosaur Buck, then later after it gets captured, he is regurgitated along with Carter, Robert Burke and Ajay Sidhu who were eaten as well.
- He may be based on Howard King from The Lost World.
- When he gets attacked by Compys he can be heard cursing in Swedish.
- After the first Compsognathus attack, he can be heard swearing in Swedish, saying "Helvetes jävlar", which is Swedish for "Hell's Devils".
- He and Nick don't get along, as they were shown getting into a fight when the group rescued Nick, Sarah, and Malcolm who were hanging over the cliff when the trailer fell into the river and blew up.
- The action figure based on Stark from The Lost World: Jurassic Park toyline is also the basis for the player model for the human hunter in the PSX/Saturn The Lost World game. During the final level on the Compsognathus campaign, the hunter can be seen shooting rockets at the player as it climbs the rocks. Afterwards, it then switches to the human hunter campaign where the player takes control of the hunter. Although the hunter goes unnamed throughout the game, the player is technically playing as Dieter Stark.
- Stark's demise is similar to John Hammond's death in the first novel.
The Lost World Series 1Edit
- (Stark stares suspiciously at Nick Van Owen)
- Nick: You looking for a problem?
Dieter: Well I found you, didn't I?
- (Nick pushes him and they begin fighting causing the team to break it up)
- Nick: You looking for a problem?
- (Dieter is lost in the woods and trying to get back to the others and calls out to his friend Carter)
- Dieter: Hey Carter! Where are ya? Hey Carter! I got turned around in here. Hey Carter! Let me hear from ya! Hey Carter!
- Dieter: (cursing in Swedish after the first Compy attack) Helvetes, Helvetes jävlar. Hell's, hell's devils.