- "the views expressed (in this book) are my own, as are whatever factual errors exist in the text"
- —Michael Crichton(src)
Jurassic Park the Novel was written by Michael Crichton, best-selling author of various other books, in 1989. Despite the fact that Michael Crichton had a good medical training and science background, Jurassic Park contains some factual errors and minor mistakes.
- Only dinosaurs that carry frog DNA in their genome are able to reproduce. But later in the novel Alan Grant sees a couple of Dilophosaurus (for which no frog DNA was used in their production) (both male and female sex) at the river, which are performing a mating ritual. Moreover, in the sequel novel The Lost World all dinosaur species have regained the ability to reproduce.
- Many scientists doubt that it is possible to recreate dinosaurs. This topic is fully discussed in other articles.
- Martin "Marty" Guitierrez first identifies Procompsognathus as an ordinary Basiliscus amoratus. However, there exists no amoratus species of the Basiliscus genus.
- In the saliva of Procompsognathus traces are found of Gamma-amino methionine hydrolase, a genetic marker. But there exists no genetic marker with that name.
- Henry Wu made the dinosaurs Lysine contingent, to make sure the animals wouldn't survive outside the park. However, most vertebrates, including humans, are Lysine contingent.
- There is no scientific evidence to suggest Dilophosaurus had poisonous sacs and spit poison to stun/paralyse their prey.
- It is stated that dinosaurs don't see unmoving objects very well. That is ambiguous, as the T. rex eye sockets are stated to be large enough to have binocular vision. In the novel's sequel, The Lost World, the T. rex vision isn't based on movement.
- The Velociraptor's in the novel are as smart as chimps. That is not true, the smartest dinosaur, Troodon, was as smart as an Opossum.
- It is stated that in the Jurassic period, oxygen levels were much higher. Many scientists have questioned this.
- At the end of the novel, Isla Nublar is napalmed by the Costa Rican Military Air Force. However, Costa Rica does not have an army.