Mark "Crash" McCreery was a concept artist for Jurassic Park and Jurassic Park III. He was also the effects art director for The Lost World: Jurassic Park. He was also a puppeteer for the first two films.
McCreery began his involvement in the first film when it was still being pitched to Universal Studios. Stan Winston transferred McCreery from working on Terminator 2: Judgement Day to create sketches of Tyrannosaurus rex to generate interest in the film. He created two sketches: the first being the T. rex running against a plain white background as a motion study, the second being the T. rex in a jungle setting lifting its left leg high in an attack stance reminiscent of a bird of prey. In his drawing, McCreery wanted to stray away from the popular perception of the time of dinosaurs being "...the upright, bulky, clumsy kinds of creatures that have been seen in previous movies," instead depicting them as warm-blooded, agile creatures. Spending two to four weeks with each rendering, McCreery used anatomical breakdowns by paleontologist Dr. Robert Bakker and researcher Gregory Paul.
Mark McCreery designed all the finalized dinosaurs seen in the film. He most notably spent a lot of time on the Tyrannosaurus, constantly redesigning it with Stan Winston until a chosen design was reached.
In addition to his work in designing the dinosaurs, McCreery puppeteered several of the Velociraptor practical effects. He served as the radio controller for the insert raptor head and along with John Rosengrant wore one of the full body raptor suits for the Kitchen Scene.
- The Runelords (2009)
- Lady in the Water (2006)
- A Sound of Thunder (2005)
- The Village (2004)
- Van Helsing (2004)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)
- Hulk (2003)
- Dreamcatcher (2003)
- The Time Machine (2002)
- Jurassic Park III (2001)
- What Lies Beneath (2000)
- Galaxy Quest (1999)
- End of Days (1999)
- Inspector Gadget (1999)
- Small Soldiers (1998)
- Mousehunt (1997)
- The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997)
- The Relic (1997)
- The Island of Dr. Moreau (1996)
- Congo (1995)
- Tank Girl (1995)
- Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles (1994)
- Jurassic Park (1993)
- Batman Returns (1992)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Duncan, Jody. (1993) Beauty in the Beasts. Cinefex, 55, p. 48.
- ↑ The Making of Jurassic Park by Don Shay and Jody Duncan, pp. 20-21
- ↑ Duncan, Jody. (1993) Beauty in the Beasts. Cinefex, 55, p. 88.
- ↑ The Making of The Lost World: Jurassic Park by Don Shay and Jody Duncan, p. 25
- ↑ Duncan, Jody (June 1997) "On The Shoulders of Giants". Cinefex, 70, p. 93
- ↑ Mark “Crash” McCreery Pteranadon artwork from The Lost World: Jurassic Park II. icollector.com
- ↑ Return to Jurassic Park: The Third Adventure