|Spinosaurus vs. T. rex Scene|
The Spinosaurus vs. T. rex scene is a scene in Jurassic Park III. It features a fight between Tyrannosaurus and Spinosaurus. Because the Spinosaurus won the fight, the scene became very infamous among fans.
The scene is called "Spinosaurus vs. T.Rex" by MovieClips.
In Jurassic Park III, a Spinosaurus strands the film's main characters on Isla Sorna by causing their plane to crash. Afterwards, the characters escape, only to bump into a sub-adult bull T. rex, who is eating a kill. The T. rex then, inadvertently, chases the characters back to the Spinosaurus.
While the characters flee in panic, the two giant theropods battle each other. After a couple of taunting roars at each other, and nearly stepping on Alan Grant, the T.rex grabs the Spinosaurus by the neck with its mouth and slams it to the ground. The rex then swings the Spinosaurus around for a short while and made it knock down a big tree, until the Spinosaurus breaks free and tries to bite the giant carnivore. The Spinosaurus then bites the rex at its upper right thigh and slash at its ribcage, and the latter headbutts each other and slam at each other, only to be stunned for a few seconds. Around now some Compys can be seen running across the ground. Allegedly, the Spinosaurus would then grab the T. rex by the neck, and in one fluid moment, he twists it, snapping the neck. The T. rex falls to the ground dead, and the Spinosaurus roars in victory.
The fight in this scene was designed by paleontologist Jack Horner. The T. rex was the main dinosaur during the two previous movies. This created the common misconception among the general public that the T. rex was the largest carnivorous dinosaur. By 2001 it was known that theropods like Carcharodontosaurus, Giganotosaurus and Spinosaurus was larger than the T. rex, but the general public was oblivious to this. Spinosaurus was chosen to replace T. rex because it was the largest.
In the extra material Jack Horner explains:
The Spinosaurus was and is the biggest meat eating dinosaur that ever lived.
We don't know how ferocious any dinosaur really was, all we have are their skeletons. If scale the ferocious factor on the length of the animal, there was nothing that ever lived on this planet that could match this creature Spinosaurus. Also my hypothesis is that T.rex was actually a scavenger rather than a killer. Spinosaurus was really the predatory animal.
The fight between Tyrannosaurus rex and Spinosaurus appears frequently in post-JPIII media.
- The cover of Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis features the fight. the fight itself can also occur within the game itselfs, but the winner can vary and also the fate of the carnivore can also vary, as sometimes the Rex or Spino will survive the battle by being scared away or they can be killed in battle.
- The Lost World theme park of Universal Studios Singapore features the statues of a fighting T. rex and Spinosaurus.
- There are often many recrations of this famous, controversial scene all over the internet, most of them being updated with the Tyrannosaurus winning, since it angered so many Jurassic Park/dinosaur fans and also because Spinosaurus' jaws were weaker than Tyrannosaurus'.
- In some shots some scars can be seen on the Tyrannosaurus' face.
- The time T.rex is going to attack Spinosaurus in its hips a tree hits it.
- Originally this scene was supposed to be longer between both T. rex and Spinosaurus. Extended parts of the fight can be seen in the special features of the Jurassic Park III DVD.